Re: Flare

Subject: Re: Flare
From: "Rick Stone" <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:29:20 -0600

Hmmm, I guess it's all in how you view it.

I'm in no way trying to be obstinate or confrontational, simply presenting a different point of view.

For example, I've created a few different sites using RoboHelp HTML and WebHelp output. Seems to work well for anything that you need to present similar to what a reference book would contain. For example, I had one site that served as a repository for local lunch places. I would regularly pick up menus and scan them into images. Then pop them into a RoboHelp project and index them by classification (Mexican, Asian, Italian, etc./Price range/Whatnot)

Then there were other sites that held information used as job aids and reference systems. Even had scripts that call center employees would read to customers while troubleshooting calls.

I've often enjoyed finding other ways than those traditionally accepted for doing things. I do see what you mean with the Swiss Army knife/saw connection, but what if the person facing the situation is tremendously comfortable with a Swiss Army knife, but has no electricity for operating a circular saw and can produce something regarded as nearly flawless and even creative using the knife? Likewise, if a person is totally familiar with something like Flare or RoboHelp and is quite happy with what the output looks like and how it operates, does it make it any less a web site?

I do agree that it shouldn't be used willy nilly and for all sites. Only for those where it can help with what it brings to the table. Sometimes that's in the form of a help system and at other times it may be totally suitable for whatever need the person creating it sees.

Just some thoughts to ponder... Rick :)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>