Re: Seybold column: Why Tables for Layout Is Stupid

Subject: Re: Seybold column: Why Tables for Layout Is Stupid
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: BizShop <bizshop -at- bizshop -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 15:26:53 -0500

BizShop wrote:

I am struggling to make CSS layout work in all the browsers, and find it
very frustrating. There are kludges - and then browsers (like IE7) that
break the kludges.
The idea of CSS replacing tables is a very good one - and I recognize the
benefits - but can anyone point me to any large/prominent e-commerce site
that is laid out entirely in CSS? I've been searching for someone who has
done the research - and have looked at a few of the big ecommerce sites by
viewing source code - and all I've checked so far use table based layout
with lots of CSS on top.,

You need to get "CSS The Other Manual." (I got mine from Borders, but
Amazon and Barnes and Noble also have it.) It not only gives you a lot of
info on CSS and how it works, it talks about the workarounds for IE4-6 and
how IE works differently from older versions with CSS. I'm about 3/4 of the
way through it and have found in invaluable.
Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [1]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
cards for all occasions)
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to
answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt