Re: Big Dig

Subject: Re: Big Dig
From: Peter Lewicke <plewicke -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:03:48 -0800 (PST)

It would be nice, if the blame could be put on poor
documentation alone. Everything in the design was
supposed to have been reviewed by the general
contractor and by the state authority with oversight
of the project. It appears that the hangers were
rubberstamped by everyone without any engineering
review. This appears to have been an engineering
design error, rather than a documentation problem. It
is possible that there wouldn't have been any
failures, if everything had been done according to
specs and the specs met design requirements.

scroll down to "Was this event foreseeable?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig_ceiling_collapse
an engineering boards with a discussion of it.
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=159632&page=1

The problem with the whole project is that it was done
in ways that would maximize employment, rather than be
best for users and taxpayers. I expect that it will
have to be abandoned within twenty years.

http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/plewicke%40yahoo.com

> To subscribe, send a blank email to
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
> Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ for more
> resources and info.

Never miss an email again!