Re: Seven words for seven words

Subject: Re: Seven words for seven words
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:53:27 -0800

Dan Goldstein wrote:

One of our developers sent an e-mail with the well-worn quote, "User
documentation is only weighed, never read."

I answered: "The second-best possible situation is that when a user
calls Technical Services, Dave or Doug would be able to say: 'OK, please
open the user documentation to page 24 and try following those steps.'
If the user can easily read and follow those steps, gets what s/he
needs, and doesn't call back, we've simultaneously increased our
customer satisfaction and lowered our costs. The best situation, of
course, is for the user to be faced with such an easy and
straightforward interface that they never even make that call. But I'd
like the user documentation to be as clear, concise, correct, and
complete as possible -- just in case."

But what I *really* needed was a seven-word response to the glib,
seven-word quote...

"Weigh yourself before and after reading this. "

If it is a brevity contest, you can win by leaving off the last word.