dual OS docs - with grace

Subject: dual OS docs - with grace
From: "Kimberly McClintock" <kimberly -dot- mcclintock -at- openlogic -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:30:25 -0700

Hi everyone!! I've got a question I'm thinkin' can't be new, yet...can't find any info:

We've got install procedures for a product that runs on Windows and on Linux. Radically different procedures are broken out in OS specific sections, but a good deal of the procedures overlap with the exception of the path. I'm looking for a graceful way to avoid this (exaggerated for effect):

Edit the databaseContext.xml file located in the /opt/oleopenlogic-enterprise-4.2/storemanager/config directory on Linux and the c:\ole\openlogic-enterprise-4.2\storemanager\config directory on Windows as follows:

Alternatives thus far include 1) defining a convention like BASEDIR in the introductory material or 2) Picking one OS as standard, and doc the necessary changes that will need to be made for other OS users in the introductory material. Anybody know if there's a convetion already? Weigh in on the grace of the offered options, if you please...

Thanks,
Kimberly

Kimberly McClintock  |  Lead Technical Writer
kimberly -dot- mcclintock -at- openlogic -dot- com
720 240 4523  |  phone
720 240 4556  |  fax
1 888 OpenLogic  |  toll free
www.openlogic.com
OpenLogic, Inc.
Headquarters, Broomfield, Colorado 80021