Re: Approach for user manual

Subject: Re: Approach for user manual
From: "Bryan Sherman" <bsherm -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:14:42 -0500

You will probably get a range of responses to this, but I lean towards
task-based for most of my projects. Now keep in mind, my projects tend to be
around Siebel, SAP, etc. applications designed to automate tasks. My
audience is the end-user, and frankly most are pretty basic users. They
could care less about all the little cool things the app can do, they want
to know how to accomplish the tasks they need for their job.

I guess a simpler answer is it depends. It depends on your audience.

Bryan

On 1/18/07, STEAG Samir Sachdeva <s -dot- sachdeva -at- steagindia -dot- in> wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for all your responses. They have helped me a lot. As far as I have
understood, a task-based approach is more suitable for applications like
Microsoft Word, where the tasks the user has to do can be described in their
order of decreasing importance. On the other hand, a screen-based approach
would be more suitable for web applications, where the user goes from one
screen to the next in a logical sequence.

Any takes on this?

Samir Sachdeva
www.t-t-t-online.com

Steag Encotec (India) Pvt Ltd, New Delhi, India