RE: FYA

Subject: RE: FYA
From: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:03:01 -0800

Ned chimed:
"And what a word--I want to know the etymology of it. "

interpret

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French interpreter, from Latin interpretari, from interpret-, interpres agent, negotiator, interpreter
transitive verb

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?interpret

Agent, negotiator?

Ned, I think you think too much. I went to your website (that is yours isn't it?) to see what I can "interpret." "Services" seems a little blank, but your "documentation project methodology" might be worthy of "interpretation." ;-)

I think that if a piece of work is derived from another piece of work and the derived work so closely resembles the original work that we can recognize the original work within the derivation, then credit should be given to the original writer or risk being a plagiarization, unless the original author is clearly recognized in the derived work. For example, Bach's "Minuet in G Major" is frequently used in other works, but he rarely if ever receives credit when the melody is borrowed and there is no need to give him credit because most people can recognize the melody as Bach's. "A Lover's Concerto" by the Toys used the melody and that song is not refered to as "A Lover's Concerto based on Bach's Minuet in G Major" but we know that the melody is not original. Additionally, eventhough the melody is cited as Bach's, it is the work of Christian Petzold and this brings a new dynamic to the paradigm of giving credit where credit is due. Would anyone even know of the work if Christian Petzold was given full credit? I don't think so. So in this case, the work outlived the composer because it was essentially stolen by a well-known composer.

You said "When Miles Davis recorded Cyndi Lauper's pop hit Time After Time." You didn't say that it was Miles Davis's hit. Does Frazier's essay closely resemble an essay from a specific previous author that should receive credit? Is it a rehashing of other works in the public domain from multiple authors so that it is not a direct derivation? Or is his essay removed from the original work of another author enough that it is only an inspired piece rather than a nearly plagiarized piece? I am not familiar with the original work or with Frazier. I also don't know if Frazier's "interpretation" is helping the piece achieve recognition or hurting the original author.

Why am I so philosophical today? Now I'm thinking too much. Is this like a yawn? One person yawns and everyone in the room starts yawning? One person thinks about the boundaries of interpretation and other people start thinking about the same thing? I'll bet there are people yawning now. Or thinking. Or thinking about yawning.

Lauren