RE: Tips on Getting Hired

Subject: RE: Tips on Getting Hired
From: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:16:33 -0800

A CV with portfolio seems like a different animal than just a resume. Recruiters, in my experience, want a resume for the initial submission and a portfolio if an interview is scheduled. They don't really look at cover letters, except for some summary information to introduce the applicant. When working through a third-party like this, it is difficult to compete against the other several hundred submissions for the same job when my only option to make a good first impression is in my resume. The brief resume I offered in the past received responses like there was not enough experience and I don't think that anyone reads past the second or third page of any resume. I provide older experience to show that I have been working more than 5 years, so I wind up with a third page. Many contracts are 2 or 3 months long because I am frequently called in to fix somebody else's mess.

I imagine that if I applied to long-term or semi-permanent positions, then I would have more options for presenting myself, but the short-term gigs leave little room for marketing and I am not interested in staying in one place for very long.

Lauren