Re: When you hear the Axe in the dark...

Subject: Re: When you hear the Axe in the dark...
From: ct <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:35:15 -0700

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly!

I have never worn just one hat, and I generally prefer to work for
"smaller" companies. However, when your job suddenly changes and you
become "ragdolled" from one job to the next, it's difficult to keep
your bearings without your head becoming loose and eventually falling
off.

Then where do you put those hats??

Part of my "training" of company execs here has been to keep the TW
involved in the Dev process. We're an AG/XP dev house. So it's my
task to keep the docs lite while keeping up with the MANY iterations
of the product. I prefer to sit in with the Architects and the
Developers from beginning to end...if it's sold correctly, I'm
billable. If not ("What? We have documentation? Who reads a manual
anyway???!!!") then I'm an albatross.

I'm a great PM. I'm also a great TW. And I do both at the same time
very well. However, I also have limits. If a company can't keep
focus in one.tiny.little.area...then what hope is there for the rest
of a companies focus on a greater whole?

Oye! A conundrum! (Unless you're a company that sells hats! Which we don't.)

-Collin

On 1/25/07, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

Funny you should mention this. I am often doing both at the
same time (small companies, many hats), tracking the project
status of groups other than my own, reporting same to upper
management and sending out "you are this week's critical path"
reminders to various managers. I don't mind doing it at all,
especially if it's something the company and I have discussed
at the front end of our work together, because in addition to
making myself more "billable," it's also a sure-fire way of
knowing exactly when a writer needs to start work on the
documents and where all the document milestones need to
be set, and puts me in a prime position to bring about planning
changes.

Gene Kim-Eng