Re: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500

Subject: Re: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:15:39 -0800

That's got to be the strangest FDA-regulated company on the face of the Earth. At most of the medical industry companies I've worked with, the number of people responsible for QA,
product documentation, configuration/document control and regulatory submission rivaled the number of engineers. Well, at most of the *successful* companies, anyway...

The thing I find the most strange is that many poorly written writer job descriptions are posted by companies I know have
technical publications groups. I can understand when these
things come from little startups with no existing document
pros, but how a tech pubs manager can let HR put some of these things up is another matter.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>

Finally when they advertised a Quality Coordinator job (for which I was
just-barely qualified), I applied. This did not get me that job, but it got
me and my resume finally through the HR bottleneck and in front of the
appropriate people who knew they needed document creation and control (dings
from FDA and customer audits), but did not know that the person they needed
was called a "technical writer".