RE: Is this hackneyed or cliche?

Subject: RE: Is this hackneyed or cliche?
From: "Eason, David" <David -dot- Eason -at- lsi -dot- com>
To: "technical writing plus" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 08:21:48 -0700

In my experience, the HR screener or other gatekeeper is not the one who
makes the decisions about whom to interview and hire, just which resumes
to forward to the person who will decide whom to interview and hire. The
"hiring authority" and the decision-maker are not the same person. HR
might be the hiring authority--the one who sends the offer letter;
conducts salary, benefits, and other negotiations; and completes the
paperwork. But the real decision-makers are the people who are qualified
in the field and who are ultimately responsible for interviewing good
candidates and hiring the best one (whatever best is defined as).

If a person is going to work with or for me, I want to be involved in
the hiring decision, not leave it up to someone else who might stick me
with an incompetent or whom I can't get along with. (Personality often
plays a big role in hiring decisions. I know I have gotten jobs and
contracts when I have not had the highest levels of credentials,
qualifications, or experience.)

The screener or HR person is not technically qualified to make decisions
about who can do a specific job (unless it is an HR job), nor are the
people who have to work with or supervise a potential employee going to
allow a non-technically qualified person to make decisions about whom to
hire.

Quirky resumes or cover letters that do not meet the job description or
other parameters established by the hiring decision-maker, or that
confuse, baffle, or go over the head of the screener or gatekeeper will
end up in the "do not interview" file.

David Eason