RE: The 'user' in User Manual

Subject: RE: The 'user' in User Manual
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Ned Bedinger'" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 22:31:50 -0800

I have an easier time writing without pronouns. I also have an easier time
reading documents that do not use pronouns. I get annoyed when I see "you"
in documentation and even more annoyed by he and she references or even
worse "he/she" references.

Now if the style of documentation for a collection of documents follows a
particular convention, then it is best to continue using that convention
because consistency is key. If bad writing is the convention, then adopt a
compatible but cogent convention.

Preference can play a factor here, but habit is also a factor. I tend to
write in a consistently neutral voice in technical writing because that is
the habit that I have developed. Changing the voice to say "you must do
something" would be more work for me because that is not how I write. So
deadline pressures tend to cause me to produce documentation that is clear
and cogent, but may lack some softening familiarity. I have never had
anyone tell me my documents were too hard, so I have never really tried to
soften it.

I've never heard the phrase "the old saw about foolish consistency." When
did consistency become foolish? I might not understand what you are are
saying here.

Lauren