RE: The 'user' in User Manual

Subject: RE: The 'user' in User Manual
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'D. Michael McIntyre'" <michael -dot- mcintyre -at- rosegardenmusic -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 12:13:24 -0800

All writing is centered on the audience, or reader. If you are writing
technical documentation, then your audience is a user of technology and the
document should be written as a person thinks and not as a person talking to
another person. A technical book, however, will need to take some liberties
because a book becomes a sort of companion to the reader. Like a friend
that you can carry around. So it needs to "talk" to the reader sometimes.
How much of the book is written as the reader "thinking" or as the author
"talking" depends on the skill level and nature of the reader and the
overall "voice" of the book. The "Dummies" series of books tend to talk
directly to the reader. "O'Reilly" books tend to include a lot of
neutral-voiced content. A key to test your writing is to read as the
intended reader and avoid assuming that what you take for granted will be
assumptions shared by your reader. Naturally, having someone else read your
work will provide the best help if that reader will be honest and not spare
your feelings.

Lauren