RE: "Strict" Word template for end-users? (take III)

Subject: RE: "Strict" Word template for end-users? (take III)
From: "Turner, Katherine" <kturner -at- Metastorm -dot- com>
To: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Eddie VanArsdall" <evanarsdall -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:03:51 -0000

I've found that this thread has become an interesting thread about how
Word documents are setup. Geoff and Eddie have both raised lots of good
points which have made me think about how I setup templates. I have
setup numerous templates (Word 6, 7, 97, 2003) with and without
customized macros, styles, keystrokes. The thread has made me think more
about how I use bookmarks as I try to avoid them by using
cross-references where possible and I'm currently using more and more
field codes which refer to custom properties (setup in the File |
Properties dialog).

I just have one comment to the last email from Geoff:

Geoff Hart: Using the built- in styles is certainly easier, but it
doesn't take long to learn to use custom styles in their place,
particularly if you map them to familiar keystrokes and provide toolbars
or menus to make the use of the new styles easy.

As an experience Word user who likes using lots of keystrokes (and looks
them up in Help to discover more) I prefer familiar keystrokes to be
maintained and new keystrokes assigned to new styles. Otherwise I find
that it takes me more time to use the template and I keep applying the
wrong style.

Just my tuppence worth.

Katherine Turner
Technical Author
The opinions expressed are strictly my own and not necessarily those of
Metastorm.

the system manager.