Current trends in Authoring Tools?

Subject: Current trends in Authoring Tools?
From: ct <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:52:00 -0700

Good Point David.

Johnny:

Your comment "I have had the good fortune of not having to work with
Word as my main
authoring tool for the past 13 years as a TW" is hardly the thing to
motivate Word experts >to leap to your assistance. I, for one, think
Word's flexibility and potential for automation >far outweigh its
limitations. I won't sneer at your tools if you won't sneer at mine.
Deal? >About your questions...

Although I am trained in and use (mostly to keep current) a good
number of the authoring tools, I've noticed a definite trend AWAY from
the industry norms.

The last few contract jobs I've worked as well as the last 3 permanent
jobs (and the job I am moving into - a fortune 50 company) have all
abandoned tools like RoboHelp, FrameMaker, Flare, etc. Their tool of
choice?

Word.

Why? It's in use. It's got a future development path. And everybody knows it.

Simple.

May not be the best tool...but it's what's hot in Rome. And when in Rome....

-Collin

(I guess the tagline applies here...)

--
"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human
soul in this world--and never will."

Mark Twain