Looking for a graphic hot spot tool similar to the old RoboHelp SHED

Subject: Looking for a graphic hot spot tool similar to the old RoboHelp SHED
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, TCP List <tcp -at- techcommpros -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:44:38 -0500

If you've been around as long as I have, you probably used (or were at least aware of) the Segmented Hypergraphic EDitor (SHED) tool that used to be part of RoboHelp. What it did was to let you identify an area (I think it was limited to rectangles) on a graphic that, when clicked, launched a jump or popup.

I want to do something similar, but on a web page ... have a picture with multiple hot spots that, when clicked, pops up or jumps to another file. I'd prefer not being limited to rectangles, though.

What would you use to do such a thing?

Ideally it would work well in an AJAX-type environment, i.e., can assume that XML, CSS, and JavaScript are available.

All replies gratefully received,

John Garison