What's what with LCD resolution and aspect?

Subject: What's what with LCD resolution and aspect?
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:29:42 -0500

Hey all.

If you were about to receive (not ordered yet) a monitor to replace a dying
CRT,
and the offering was 1680x1050 LCD, would you make a fuss and hold out for
1600x1200?

Other than a few rows of characters, am I losing anything important - in a
visual,
staring at the monitor all day this-is-what-I-do kind of way - if I accept a
wide-aspect
monitor with the lesser vertical count?

Is the aspect generally well-handled by software, or will I be looking at
horizontally
stretched characters and illustrations?
I'm using MS Office, OpenOffice, FrameMaker, MadCap Flare, Acrobat, and a
few
browsers on Win XP Pro. I don't game or do high-end photo or video
manipulation.
I just want to be comfortable with the thing I'll be staring at for at least
the coming five years. :-)

They already think they're doing me a favor, over the 17-inch 4:3 display
that's
the office standard (well yes, they are...but), so I'll be raising the
annoyance factor
for a while if I follow my first instinct and press for at least 20.1 inch
1600x1200.

The hoops ya gotta jump through for a measly additional hundred bucks or
two...

Oh, by the way... no, I _don't_ actually want to hear from those who have
multiple 27-inch displays, etc., etc. That's just rubbing salt in wounds,
and
doesn't reflect well on you. <g>

Cheers,

Kevin