counter offers

Subject: counter offers
From: Joanne Wittenbrook <jwittenbrook -at- ameritech -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:44:42 -0800 (PST)

>This was some years ago, but I remember reading on one of the job
sites (CareerBuilder or something similar) that one of the WORST things
to do is accept a counter offer. Whether it's because of something like
Al said or something else, this little article was basically saying
it's
never worth it to take a counter offer. There might be exceptions,
though.

Samuel I. Beard, Jr.

A counter offer is an admission that they were'nt paying you your true worth. What are the chances you'll see many raises in the future?

In employer/employee relations, we all go in with a certain amount of trust. Unfortunately, that has eroded over the years. I have hear of people who get mad and walk off the job. But it does seem more common these days for employers to dump people in such a way that they don't have to see them again. So they wait till you take a day off, or the old have security show you to the door. It has expanded a workplace culture where employees feel no loyalty or concern for the company, why should they? And companies view all employees with suspician.

On my last job I did have the opportunity to see one of the VPs escorted from the building. He'd done it to a lot of others, nice to see him get the same treatment.