Re: working with an inexpereinced writer

Subject: Re: working with an inexpereinced writer
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:23:17 -0500

As the company paying the bill for the contract writer, you have the right to demand a certain skill and experience level in that individual. It should certainly be comparable to the writer you had previously, or there should be some reduction in the rate if you agreed to take on a less experienced writer. While it's admirable to help a new writer along -- I certainly advocate that, my students have to start somewhere! -- there is a certain amount of overhead in getting that person up to speed. That means your time to show them the ropes, the manager's time to make sure they're integrating well, and so on. Deadlines could be a risk because of the extra time it will take for this person to learn and begin to produce at the level necessary.

From the information you've given, it seems as though this person is completely unacceptable for this job at this current time. The outsourcing company will have to find you another candidate. If you cave, and accept the less experienced writer when it is clear you need a more seasoned professional, the outsourcing company will have succeeded at your expense. Give them the specifications of the person you want, and hold out for a person who will add to your team, not slow it down.

Carrie Baker wrote:

Our company have worked with a subcontractor who provided us with a
writer for the past year,
Now they want to change the writer they are sending us, OK, that is
their prerogative, although it means that we will have to teach the
new person our products, our style guide etc.

BUT, the person they want to bring is a person with only a few months
experience of technical writing. Although they speak very highly of
them.
My problem is that we have a lot of pressure and deadlines in our
work, we have not had the extra writer for a few weeks already and I
simply do not have time to train a person.