RE: Agile, SCRUM and Technial Writing

Subject: RE: Agile, SCRUM and Technial Writing
From: "Cynthia Tucker" <cynthiatucker -at- cartegraph -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:58:07 -0600

In our small development group we practice a Hybrid Agile approach and
have just begun formalizing our acceptance tests. The tech writer (that
is me), QA and marketing rep join the development team to come up with
acceptance tests. Design is often formalized during these discussions.
(and yes, my input is heard and respected. I don't always 'win', but no
ones input is trivialized! With the acceptance tests in hand I can draft
user documentation. Since the developers are coding to pass the test,
fewer problems are encounterd. Testing encounters fewer show stoppers.
We also have an '80percent' review where the developers show the
functionality and the team decides on what sections may need
re-factoring. Design and Documentation doesn't change nearly as often
now. Previously we had a lot of questionable design that was re-worked
during system run thru.

It works in our environment. But then again, there are eight people
(max) attending these acceptance test meetings. In larger
organizations, it is probably much more difficult.