Video vs The Written Word

Subject: Video vs The Written Word
From: procrastiwriter <procrastiwriter -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:19:04 +0000

Hi everyone

I'm a writer at a software development company; it's a relatively new
position for me and historically, the current set of documentation is large,
incomplete and frankly a bit of a nightmare to sort out. However - that's my
challenge and I'm happy to rise to it.

Out of the blue, a few key people are hell bent on using videos (e.g.
Camatasia) over anything else and I fear that they see it as a way of not
having to worry so much about improving the written documentation. In
principle, I'm not against using videos for things like tutorials and
examples, but it's not area that I've explored before. I would be very
interested to hear what people think about using video tutorials in
technical writing, for example:

- When do you use them?
- What are the merits?
- What are the pitfalls/drawbacks?