Documenting interactive configuration - HELP!

Subject: Documenting interactive configuration - HELP!
From: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:19:34 -0500

I'm looking for ideas here... I'm documenting the configuration of dozens of different kinds of software that are used on the company's computers. Most of the them use some sort of configuration script or XML or whatever. To document the configuration I can include the file or refer to it, or include a portion of it, possibly with explanations.

One program, however, is configured interactively. The configuration seems to consist of whatever the tech typed into the config screens as they went past his eyes.

I tried writing up a precis of the answers that differed from the default, and it's horribly confusing. The obvious alternative, a book full of screen shots (95 of them--they're hard to see, and a lot of them are nearly identical), would be next to useless.

Has any of you ever successfully attacked this problem? What did you do?

I'm hoping there's a tool or command to produce a config listing, and that our tech has merely not discovered it yet. I cannot see how the software vendor could develop a product for which a config listing could not be produced.

Thanks,
--Peter Neilson
laboring somewhere in North Carolina, probably under a delusion.