Re: Jargon list?

Subject: Re: Jargon list?
From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
To: cloy -dot- tobola -at- ndsu -dot- edu, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:28:59 -0500

I did something similar when I first started working for the company I'm at. The company is in a specialty field (Television Broadcast Automation) and uses a lot of jargon. Over the years, as technology has changed, some terms have lingered. Many of these are used as synonyms when they should use a more modern term.

For instance, the term "log" refers to the scheduled list of programs and commercials to play. They use "schedule" and "playlist" as synonyms of "log", but they also use "log" to refer to the log the computer keeps!

Anyway, I made a list of these terms and have slowly been standardizing the usage--at least in documentation. There is no way to get someone who's been at a TV station for 30 years to understand why he can't say "log" or "schedule" when it's really a "playlist". But at least he's not reading the ambiguous term in my documentation.

It's been a complete uphill battle. Some days I'm not sure if I'm ahead or losing ground.

:)
Arroxane

PS--I've got a degree from Excelsior College LOL www.excelsior.edu