Re: Creating help on a mobile device using Windows CE

Subject: Re: Creating help on a mobile device using Windows CE
From: ct <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:07:53 -0700

I've done simple applications in Flash for Pocket PC.

Would that fit your needs?

-Collin

On 2/23/07, Jonathan Pechta <jpechta -at- weldtechcorp -dot- com> wrote:

Just a note:

Windows Mobile 5 or 6: The Pocket Internet Explorer does not support any
form of Java other than javacript. I've done manuals on a standard
Pocket PC screen size before, but the outcome at 240x320 is just not
very usable in any form. When you are working on screen sizes that
small, the only thing usable is topic based search systems (my personal
viewpoint). Adobe PDFs do view on mobile devices with Acrobat mobile,
but they do a funky wrapping if your pages aren't size perfectly to
include the scroll bars. It also gets a little iffy with tagged PDFs and
jumping around. I've found that they never worked as well as I had hoped
for my circumstance. Adding internal links to jump between topics always
worked best instead of using tags for my PDF documentation, but is a
time consuming process.

I'm current developing a help system for GM with an 8" screen (7.5 x 4)
and it is much easier to work with. Unfortunately, the eight languages
it will be translated into will be a document killer and a lot of
re-work will probably be needed.

--
Jonathan Pechta
Project Manager

Somayya El Gemei wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to create help on a mobile
> device (used for field services). The mobile's OS is Windows CE.
>
> Here are the facts:
> - I need to consider the limitations of memory size on the device +
> the size of the screen.
> - I have used Robohelp extensively for generating different online
> outputs: Java, html and webhelp (but never on Windows CE) and would like
> to use it again in this project specially that I'm going to use it to
> create the help on the server side. I read somewhere that Robohelp
> doesn't support Window CE, but can I use it to generate web help and
> somehow hook it to the app loaded onto the device?
>
> - What kind of questions should I be asking our techies (since they
> will be the ones hooking it up to the app)to verify whether or not I can
> used webhelp.
>
> Has anyone had this experience before? Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> S.
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include single source authoring, team authoring,
> Web-based technology, and PDF output. http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
>
> Now shipping: Help &amp; Manual 4 with RoboHelp(r) import! New editor,
> full Unicode support. Create help files, web-based help and PDF in up
> to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual: http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as jpechta -at- weldtechcorp -dot- com -dot- >
> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jpechta%40weldtechcorp.com

> http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/straylightsghost%40gmail.com

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human
soul in this world--and never will."

Mark Twain