Re: Why oh why oh why

Subject: Re: Why oh why oh why
From: "D. Michael McIntyre" <michael -dot- mcintyre -at- rosegardenmusic -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:09:27 -0500

On Thursday 22 February 2007 11:35 pm, Beth Agnew wrote:
> I think Nancy is echoing the frustration of many of us, techwriters who
> daily see products that do not meet customers' needs. It's frustrating
> when we know that there can be improvements; we even tell the powers
> that be what improvements to make, and yet we still have to put up with
> longstanding issues in products that we rely upon every day.

This is why I love the open source world, and why it pains me so greatly I
can't figure out how to make a living in the open source world.

Don't like it? Hack it. Dialogs are especially easy, because you can grep
for the text to find the code that needs twiddling.

I wish more people used open source tools for this writing business. I got
laid off, finally found a job driving a cement mixer. I survived nine days,
but could not bring myself to clock in on the tenth, and I'm unemployed all
over again. So much for my plan to take another day job while I concentrated
on developing writing into a career. I guess it's time to go buy some
Microsoft and Adobe stuff and see if I fare better using tools people
recognize.

(I have now driven a Mack truck, if anyone is paying attention to my plight.
Yee haw.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre