RE: Word to Framemaker

Subject: RE: Word to Framemaker
From: "Keith Hansen" <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:19:18 -0600

Hello,

I'm sending this message to both the entire list and to Fred...

Some time ago, Fred posted a very helpful message to the TECHWR list
(see below). It talked about converting Word docs to FrameMaker. Fred
noted that macros helped him automate the process. He wrote macros to
strip out the following from the Word docs:

* Word headers and footers
* Autonumbering and bullets, etc.
* In-line graphics

Fred also used a macro to convert all x-refs to plain text and marked
them with a named character format.

Can Fred (or anyone else) provide more details on the specifics of such
macros? How would I go about creating each of these?

Once the macros have been run, I assume the text imported into
FrameMaker is pretty close to plain text. So, my other question is:

* Once the text is imported into FrameMaker, what is the best way to
apply the new FrameMaker paragraph styles to the text? (Well, better
than manually applying styles to each paragraph in Frame?)

We have to convert an 800 page Word doc into FrameMaker. That's why I
ask...automating some of the process would certainly help.

Keith