RE: [TOOLS] Motherboard and CPU

Subject: RE: [TOOLS] Motherboard and CPU
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "'Poshedly, Ken'" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>, Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:21:39 -0500

Poshedly, Ken [mailto:PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com]

had generally sound advice, but missed the obvious...

Install Linux, man! :-)

I went Linux-only, at home, several years ago, but I
did find it inconvenient sometimes, so I reverted to
dual-boot (with XP) for the past couple of years.

I don't really want to invest in Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware,
anti-this, anti-that software for something that I use
only every other week or ten.

So, I normally use Linux for everyday stuff, and
when I really need to fire up Windows, I just unplug
the ethernet cable for a while.

All mailing and browsing are done in Linux. I never open
an executable. If I receive a file that's compressed and
gawd-forbid self-extracting, I unpack it with gunzip or
other Linux tools, and just save the nekkid extracted file
to a shared partition. Then reboot into Windows to invoke
whatever app.

It's been a workable solution so far.
I haven't tried FrameMaker with Wine recently... maybe I
don't even need to boot Win anymore... hmm. :-0

My wife uses ACT! (a contact database program that's popular
with sales reps) and also does our taxes in Windows-only
software, so she does spend a bit more time in Windows,
and she HAS spent ongoing bucks and aggravation to keep
the virus, spy-ware and other protection current on her system.

I'm happily uninvolved with all that crap.

Cheers,

Kevin