Tiny Type for Product Inserts? (take II)

Subject: Tiny Type for Product Inserts? (take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, jopakent -at- comcast -dot- net
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:14:32 -0500

J. Paul Kent provided additional information: <<I don't think it's supposed to be a novelty item. I think they're supposed to put on their reading glasses and glean what they can.>>

In that case, you're potentially less bound by the FDA and more bound by the needs of the reader, and your purpose in reaching that reader. (Not that the FDA is heedless of the needs of the reader. <g> I mean that you're producing something intended to be used, not just something intended to satisfy legislation.) For a true package insert, you're bound by the relevant legislation.

If you want this to be read, make it attractive and legible enough that (a) it looks like something I want to read and (b) it requires no reading glasses. Ideally, make it useful. For example, ask yourself: How would the reader want to access this information, and under what circumstances? You might find that a laminated plastic pocket-sized quick reference card might be the ideal tool: provide "just the basics" information on the card, followed by the page number of the manual that contains the detailed information or the URL of the relevant part of your Web site. Provide just enough info for the current needs, and a link to where they can find more!

As another example, I've received and read a great many notepads over the years (I'm a copious note-jotter) from various product pimps -- and I often end up reading their information because it's in my nature to leave no word unread <g>, and when I see their words as I'm beginning to jot down a note, I read them. The ones I _always_ read contained witty quotes or useful information (the number of picas in a pica pole <g). But because I was using the item, and found the text interesting and legible, I read it.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
Coming soon: _Effective onscreen editing_ (http://www.geoff-hart.com/ home/onscreen-book.htm)