RE: Hardware requirements for a tech doc laptop?

Subject: RE: Hardware requirements for a tech doc laptop?
From: "paul" <paul -at- farleytech -dot- com>
To: "Yves Barbion" <yves -dot- barbion -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:09:41 -0800

While laptops are becoming the default PC these days, don't let the need to take your laptop on the road for a week a year or an hour a day in meetings dictate the need that your tech writing interface be a laptop integrated mouse, CRT, and keyboard. If you spend the bulk of your time pounding on a laptop, your writing career will likely be short lived.

I've found that the laptop isn't as important as the docking station equipage. I found out the hard and expensive way that buying different brands of laptops (I have five: 17" Sony Vaio, Fugitsu LifeBook T4215, 17" MacBook Pro, Dell D620, and Thinkpad T43p) isn't the definitive answer. (Although I prefer and mostly use the Thinkpad.) A docking station with a comfortable keyboard, oversized monitor, and comfortable mouse make my 10-12 hour days survivable.

So focus on solving the problem of the environment in which you do most of your keyboarding. Make that environment the most ergonomically correct one you can. Then discipline yourself to use that set up and contain the writing marathons in bed in the middle of the night to a few times a month. Your carpal tunnel will thank you.

Oh and max out your RAM. Publishing apps and Vista are memory intensive (read: hogs). I'm going with 2Gs minimum. Hard disk size and multiple cores are nice too, but your biggest bang for the buck is RAM-centric.

Good luck,

Paul

673 Silver Lake Drive
Danville CA 94526