RE: Google hits

Subject: RE: Google hits
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:26:37 -0500

I may be silly (or lazy, or even stupid), but I'd rather get 76 good
(i.e. meaningful and relevant) hits that are actually useful to me
than 18000 incidental, useless hits that I don't have time to sift
through. It seems to me that Google is deliberately playing the
numbers game to make users believe that they are the only
definitive and complete search engine, and I think it winds
up hurting the usefulness of their service.

From: "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>
To: <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com>,"Barry Campbell" <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
CC: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:50:46 -0000

I just tried dogpile. I entered my name and got 76 hits. On Google, I
got "about 18000." Yahoo gave me 2150 hits and Ask.com gave 1980. The
same text entered the same way varies wildly, so I would use Google long
before I would use dogpile.

David B. Dubin
Senior Curriculum Developer
Sage Software