RE: Speaking of indexing...

Subject: RE: Speaking of indexing...
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:25:50 -0500

I'm just finishing a detailed index for our 50-page ISO-modelled quality
manual. It will take another day of editing and consolidating before it's
ready for use by readers who are not familiar with ISO, and by me to
identify and replace repetitions of information with a reference to its
first instance -- you guessed it, to prepare the entire program for
single-sourcing and paragraph linkages. If I have my way, it will be
translated into html if not xml. But that's another topic and another
fight. At the least, I expect that I will be able to convince my boss to
let me cross-link common information to a single source even if I have to do
it through a mail-merge setup.

Indexing is not my favorite thing upon which to spend time. (...up with
which I shall not put.)

But I do count it in my TW bag of tricks, and I'm thankful that my boss did
agree to let me spend time on it. This one has so far taken almost a week.

The technique to "rough out" the index in MS Word is simple enough; a
temporary typist could have done it while I worked on more challenging
documentation. Oh well. Maybe next time.

My brain is fried in three days of tedium. I could not _imagine_ doing
nothing but indexing for an extended period of time, or as the main focus of
my career. My hat's off to them what does just that.

Dori Green