Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 20:01:03 -0800

Don't hold your breath. In the absence of a law that requires me as a hiring manager to only employ "certified tech writers," the supply of people available to mw to fill a tech writing position will continue to include anyone I choose to consider, i.e., anyone with technical knowledge who I think I can make a tech writer out of. That's my whole point about the "value" (or lack
thereof) of certification.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>

While I'm confident that certification alone could never result in TWs having cartel powers (cool if it could), still, as I think you say, certification could be awarded by a TW organization that somehow comes to represent tech writers in the marketplace. That's a more potent (and dangerous) situation, with the potential to control the supply of TW (the commodity).

Web-based technology, and PDF output.

to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual:

or visit

Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC): From: Susan Hogarth
Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC): From: Ned Bedinger