RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:10:25 -0800 (PST)

> You're saying that it's the TW *managers* who need to possess a
> quantifiable skill set?

No, manager's don't need that skill set, though it is a skillset that
should lead to better managers, and not all people who function as
managers are given the role of manager. Prior to where I am now, 2 of
the previous 3 gigs, I did a whole range of things that had little to
do with putting words on paper (the list follows later).

It's also a skillset that might apply to Lone Writers who don't have
a support infrastructure to rely on.

--- Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> wrote:
> And that this skill set applies to TW managers
> in hardware, software, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, military,
> regulatory, scientific...?

> OK, John, what items go in that skill set?

So you can come up with an example that doesn't apply and therefore
the premise doesn't apply? Not withstanding that, a few examples:

Some project planning skills
Some financial justification skills
Some database skills
Some internationalization/localization skills
Some XML skills
Familiariry with some development methodologies

> > Subject: Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
> >
> > ...your manager comes to you and says "Gene...we just borged a
> > company, they're 1500 miles from here, and I need you to hire a
> > person who can run that group...they have seven writers, one
> editor,
> > and one tech illustrator, but the existing manager has left...
> >
> > ... Keep in mind that this is 1500 miles from you, wouldn't it
> help
> > you if you could include in your search technical writing
> > professionals who at least according to an independent certifying
> > agency have a wide range of a defined set of skills and you know
> > what those skills are?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."

Web-based technology, and PDF output.

to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual:

or visit

RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC): From: Dan Goldstein