RE: Opinion anyone?

Subject: RE: Opinion anyone?
From: "Karen Murri" <kmurri -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Alaina Stern'" <alaina12 -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 19:24:05 -0600

It took me 7 months to land the job I started at last week. I admit that
freaked me out, but be persistent and something will come through. Here's my
advice:

1) Check the Techwr-l archives - we've had several lively conversations
about resumes, job hunting, and interviewing lately, and there's some great
advice already out there.

2) Remove references to your country of origin from your resume as much as
you can.

3) Emphasis your fluency in your native language (and other non-English
languages) -- That'll set you up for jobs where localization is a big issue.
But de-emphasize that English is your second language

4) Hook up with a career service that does resume writing training. They can
tell you if your resume meets American norms. Most cities or counties have
some sort of job placement service that might provide classes in writing
resumes.

5) Network. I'm another that hates it, but it does help.

Good luck,
Karen