RE: GUI Hierarchy

Subject: RE: GUI Hierarchy
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Neha Jain'" <neha -at- noida -dot- interrasystems -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 22:50:16 -0800

Hi Neha,

Are you documenting a specific application? If you are, then go through
that application as a user should and document the GUI elements in order of
their most likely use. If you do not have a specific application, then find
an application that is typical of what you plan to describe in your document
and document that application's elements.

Your email program may provide a good GUI to document. The window that I am
using for this message has a hierarchcy, if I understand your use of the
word correctly, of window, title bar with some control buttons in each
corner, application buttons (such as Send, Save, Print), and a Toolbar with
menus (such as File, Edit, Help). These elements are followed by application
specific features, in this case, this is message recipients, subject, and a
message area with scrollbars when necessary. Other applications may also
use a status bar at the bottom of the window. You can probably see that I
developed the "hierarchy" from the top left corner to the bottom right
corner. That's the way people read, so that's the way application window
features generally flow.

There is no standard way to build a GUI, so there is no standard hierarchy,
but there are very common elements between the GUIs of different
applications. Additionally, the elements may have different names in
different applications and operating systems.

Here's to hoping that I understood your situation correctly.

Lauren