Re: Old PC Technology (too long, sorry)

Subject: Re: Old PC Technology (too long, sorry)
From: Liz_Vela -at- bcbstx -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 10:21:01 -0600

Remember the first mouse? My leading edge software development company
bought a couple when they came out. I tried it, hated it, refused to use
it, and swore that it would never catch on.

Liz Vela
Strategic Enhancement Services (SES)
972-766-2077

"Simon North"
<Simon -dot- North -at- quin
tiq.com> To
Sent by: sintac -at- home -dot- nl,
liz_vela=bcbstx.c PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com,
om -at- lists -dot- techwr-l michael -dot- mcintyre -at- rosegardenmusic -dot- co
.com m
cc

03/08/2007 08:52 Subject
AM Old PC Technology (too long, sorry)

Well, pull up a sandbag ....

My first computer was a ZX81, it had 8K ROM and 1K RAM running at 3.25
MHz.
My stepfather bought an Apple II and an Apple IIe to go into business
as an
independent accountant. I can remember the excitement when we bought
the first dot matrix printer.

In 1972, when I went to study CS at university we were taught Fortran
IV on an
IBM System/360-67; it ran CP/CMS which to our delight was quite easy to
crash
(not so much fun for all the local industries that time-shared on it).
I think my
class was the first to get real-time access, through a teletype printer
(we didn't
have CRTs yet), while normal work was done on punch cards.

I got into tech writing in aerospace. At Dunlop, writers wrote in
pencil and it
was typed up by the typing pool. At Lucas Aerospace we had 2 turnkey
Diamond
systems (it had a native Pascal compiler that was really cool).

My first PC was an IBM PC-XT clone (math co-processor chip, 10 MB
Seagate hard
disk, Hercules graphics card and a Rampage Above Board RAM extension
card
pushing the RAM to 1 MB) , followed by a Compaq. As I remember, and
memories
are unreliable, I built it myself and paid about $4000 for the
hardware. The HP
LaserJet printer came out at about the same time, which was a nightmare
as they
refused to release any documentation about their PCL (it was ASCII
based, and we
were documenting using IBM DisplayWrite, which was EBCDIC for mainframe

compatibility). To justify text using WP 4.2 you had to manually
correct by adding
spaces (that's why I needed to see the codes so much).

I was working for the European Space Agency at the time, where I
installed
TeX on the mainframe; it was either that or carry on documenting using

DSR (runoff) - remember it? That was the year the Atari ST came out;
boy,
the graphics on that were nice. We did wireframe animations (satellite

solar panel deployment sequences) using stop-frame capture to a video
recorder. That was real fun.

Gem, Windows 3.0, Windows for Workgroups, Windows 3.11, 95, 98, NT,
2000, XP, Vista. Got Word for Windows, Word 6, Word think-of-a-number,

Doc-to-Help, RoboHelp ... Interleaf came and went (I miss it still, and
the
wonderful things you could do with Lisp). SGML came and went (I soooo
miss DSSSL). Frame came, and is still lingering. HyperCard died, but
HTML
came ... I hope it goes soon. HyTime was stillborn (sob, sob) and we
got
XML and XSLT instead ... sigh. Sometimes I think we're actually going
backwards.

Simon.

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential
and is the property of Quintiq. It is only intended for the person to
whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not
authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use
this message or any part thereof. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of
this message. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change,
therefore they are not binding.

printed documentation. Features include single source authoring, team
authoring,

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Liz_Vela -at- bcbstx -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/liz_vela%40bcbstx.com

The information contained in this communication is confidential, private, proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only for the use of the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately at (312)653-6000 in Illinois; (800)835-8699 in New Mexico; (918)560-3500 in Oklahoma; or (972)766-6900 in Texas.