Re: The good old days.

Subject: Re: The good old days.
From: "Susan W Gallagher" <susanwg -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Joanne Wittenbrook" <jwittenbrook -at- ameritech -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 12:13:23 -0800

I started out as a trainer on Wang systems in 1983 and moved to the DOS
world several years later. By 1987 or so, I was working for a software
training company and we had every word processor going -- Leading Edge,
Volkswriter, Office Writer, MultiMate, WordStar, Word Perfect, Word, ... At
one time, I knew 'em all.

One of the reasons Word won -- when we got our first HP laser printer - the
one with downloadable soft fonts - and tried to print in proportional
spacing, Word handled proportional spacing best. Most of the others were too
dumb to back-fill short lines, so you got proportional text but the line
length was whatever the fixed spaced font allowed on the line. Very messy.

Ahh, Wang WP clones. In Office Writer, F10 was Execute, in MultiMate, F10
was Cancel - if you don't think that caused some consternation when I had to
teach both programs in the same week!

At home, I had a Kaypro II - CP/M, coal-burning WordStar and all its
companions (CalcStar, ...) Wish I'd saved the documentation. It was written
***entirely*** in the passive voice.

-Sue Gallagher