RE: Changing progams to accommodate reviewers

Subject: RE: Changing progams to accommodate reviewers
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:10:20 -0500

Speaking of reviewers and their, ahem, "corrections" (I prefer the word
"changes" for most markups, if only because in my mind, it's more
truthful), one of my irritants(?) is when you've talked to everybody and
their brother about the subjectmatter, thought you've got it pretty much
understood, and have finally routed the hardcopy draft for review and
the reviewer(s) still can't do their job correctly.

Just like your reviewers who take upon themselves to bloat the draft
with their markups, there's ALWAYS some smart-ass who can't or refuses
to add margin notes for me to work into the explanatory text. Noooo! He
writes, "Why?" or "How" next to something that I still have only a foggy
notion about. Hell, if I know "how" or "why" about every facet of the
product. And as much as I am able to learn concepts quickly about the
REAL hardware I document, some things I still don't understand
completely and rely on an engineer's explanation so I can reword it as
necessary and drop it into place.

I've rebuilt my share of automotive engines, replaced entire brake
systems (including master and wheel cylinders), did all kinds of things
like that, but transmissions, now they still baffle me. I drive a
standard shift car (for the enjoyment) and I know that trannys move
power from the engine to the drive wheels. But I still have a hard time
figuring out how many squirrels there are in those little cages they run
on to make it all work inside.<grin>

So could I explain all the intricacies of transmission interiors? Nope.
But can I use engineering drawings and interviews with SME's to create a
totally useful document for those who do tranny rebuilds? I can and I
have.

-- Ken in Atl