Re: wiki's

Subject: Re: wiki's
From: "Simon North" <sintac -at- home -dot- nl>
To: "Shira Abel" <shira -dot- abel -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 23:11:00 +0100

I use dokuwiki. There were some essential criteria that drove the choice:

1. it has a very easy interface for users
2. it's easy to customize
3. it uses flat files instead of a database, which means I can
simply copy files to the right directory instead of checking them all
in via the interface (I have 1300 class documentation files and wanted
to update them regularly).

I had to write some programs to get material in and out (Wordbasic and
XSLT to convert inwards, C to convert outwards), but I can easily put them
in the public domain. I also had to modify some of the PHP code to make it
do some extra things I wanted (like statistics).

After a year, we are starting to grow out of it - which is a good thing because
the wiki has actually been a wonderful catalyst in getting us so far that we
CAN consider moving on, and now we're thinking in terms of CMS and

Web-based technology, and PDF output.

to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual:

or visit

wiki's: From: Shira Abel