RE: Pet Peeves

Subject: RE: Pet Peeves
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: 'Samuel Wright' <lykoszine -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:31:02 -0400

Indeed.
We've been over this before, many times - just not always with
these specific phrases.

The important point is that we absolutely, positively,
_line-in-the-sand_ do NOT need to cater to people who
choose to make up things about which to be insulted
and offended. These people are the Professionally Offended.
They would, if they could, make their livings by:

OFFENSE THEFT - the taking of offense where none is offered.

In point of fact, we have a duty to the language to resist
the depredations of such persons, or very soon we will have
no language left at all - every possible utterance will have
been deemed 'offensive' to somebody.

(Gosh, Kevin, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel... :-)

Do we really want to be dictated to by those who mistake what
they hear or read, then snigger at their erroneous
interpretations... or equally, do we want to submit to prudes
who take the bogus interpretations and run with them?

Kevin

From: Samuel Wright