RE: Something a little more useful than: RE: Pet Peeves

Subject: RE: Something a little more useful than: RE: Pet Peeves
From: "Steve Cavanaugh" <scavanaugh -at- nat-seattle -dot- com>
To: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:18:05 -0800

Indeed, it is specifically for technical writing. Here is an example
from a text I have on the subject:

Example of Simplified English

Original paragraph:

Place the water heater in a clean, dry location as near
as practical to the area of greatest heated water demand.
Long uninsulated hot water lines can waste energy and
water. Clearance for accessibility to permit inspection
and servicing such as removing heating elements or
checking controls must be provided.

Same paragraph in Simplified English:

Put the water heater in a clean, dry location near the
area where you use the most hot water. If the hot water
lines are long and they do not have insulation, you will
use too much energy and water. Make sure you have access
to the heating elements and the controls for inspection
and servicing.

(The above example is from "Learning to Use Simplified
English: A Preliminary Study," by Margaret Thomas, Gloria
Jaffe, J. Peter Kincaid, and Yvette Stees, Technical
Communication, First Quarter 1992, pg 70)

HTH

Steve Cavanaugh
Sr. Technical Writer
NAT Seattle Inc.