Re: Giving up on XML

Subject: Re: Giving up on XML
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwhirlers <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:02:01 -0700 (PDT)

While this is true, our job forms at the intersection
of writing, layout and presentation. One increasingly
important aspect of those is portability and
reusability.

It's not much different from what a community-oriented
computer programmer (developer) does. You want your
code to be readable by others, and improvable with the
shortest series of steps. So, reusability and
abstraction (portability) become essential.

--- Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com> wrote:

> I think this results in a lot of make-work. I prefer
> to formulate the
> tech writer's mission as revealing the structure of
> information, not
> structuring documents. When you structure documents,
> you're presumably
> offering the reader a logical or predictable
> presentation of the
> information. That information has its own structure,
> and you can easily
> bollix the task by forcing it into another one.

It's here! Your new message!