Re: Pet Peeves

Subject: Re: Pet Peeves
From: "Susan Hogarth" <hogarth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:15:52 -0400

On 3/15/07, Amy Gale <amyg -at- grammatech -dot- com> wrote:
> Al Geist wrote:
> > Amy Gale wrote:
> >
> > "I find "male" and "female"...not offensive, I guess, but definitely
> > kind of tacky - industry standard or not."
> >I don't understand why you find the terms "male" and "female" tacky. It's a
> >universal way to describing how one device is connected to another, be that
> >device a cable into circuit board, or a spark plug into a car engine (male
> >and female threads).
> Because there's really nothing male or female about them. It's an
> inaccurate metaphor that reads like it was invented by a bunch of 13
> year old boys for a "joke".

Hmm. I can see where someone might find it silly, tacky, or even
offensive. But as for 'inaccurate metaphor'? It's a protruding thing
going into a hole - how much more accurate a metaphor could you

You must hate blues :) "Squeeze my lemon, the juice runs down my leg."

Susan Hogarth

Web-based technology, and PDF output.

to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual:

or visit

RE: Pet Peeves: From: Chris Borokowski
RE: Pet Peeves: From: john
RE: Pet Peeves: From: Al Geist