Re: What would you do?

Subject: Re: What would you do?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Kevin McGowan <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:26:36 -0700 (PDT)

> So, here I am...with a bunch of crappy and poorly-maintained
> Word files, and I need to create a state-of-the-art XML system.
> They keep talking about DITA...but I'm not convinced that the
> DITA format is the perfect way to go.
> Frankly, I'm not sure about much at the moment.

It sounds like your company is thinking that the existing crapy (your
word) documentation problems will all go away by switching to

In my experience, the more complex a process is, the worse the
existing bad stuff becomes. If you want to switch to a more complex
system because you want to do more complex things, that's fine.
However, at the same time, you should be getting your documentation
into order.

Also...XML/DITA requires the discipline to following a process.
Usualy, crappy documentation is a result of NOT having the discipline
to following a process. Untill your company has that discipline, your
going to end up with even worse bad documentation in a system more
difficult to use.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"They say everyone needs goals. Mine is to live forever.
So far, so good."

Web-based technology, and PDF output.

to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual:

or visit

What would you do?: From: Kevin McGowan