Re: Blogs for questions, blogs for answers

Subject: Re: Blogs for questions, blogs for answers
From: "Samuel Wright" <lykoszine -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:18:13 +0000

On 22/03/07, David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> >From that list, I reviewed the website of several that appeared
> promising. One of the most promising, although proprietary, would
> appear to cost $32:
> At first blush, Burning Board appears to have *every* element we might
> desire: flexible email notification for those who desire it, powerful
> archive searching (based on a MySQL database), export of new messages

Almost all (!) forums have a mysql search of one kind or another. This
does not make it any good. The search algorithms are usually pretty
simple, often involve cutting out words of 3 characters or less, and
are often just full text searches of the forum post.

One could always use _any_ forum, and get a google site search to
index the pages. Almost certainly better for finding what you want,
but not so nicely integrated into the site proper.

Web-based technology, and PDF output.

to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual:

or visit

Re: Blogs for questions, blogs for answers: From: David Neeley