Re: Context sensitive webhelp

Subject: Re: Context sensitive webhelp
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Laura Chris <tw_asks_u -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 08:02:46 -0500

One way that provides page-level context sensitivity and is fairly easy
to accomplish without requiring a map is to name each Help page the same
as the application page that calls it (assuming each app page has a
consistent page name). Then you can get a developer to write a function
so that, when the user clicks the Help button, it finds the help page
with the same name as the current application page and display it in a
window. You can use JavaScripts available on the web to manage the help
window so that it's always on top, etc.

And if you want to go further, you can even get the developers to go the
other way: Once someone finds a page in Help, they can click a button
that will open the corresponding page in the application.

I've done this in RH5, and assume it's doable in RH3.

My 2¢,

John G