Re: The Freelance Life: Is It Good?

Subject: Re: The Freelance Life: Is It Good?
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:52:31 -0500

At 9:14 AM -0400 3/25/07, Geoff Hart wrote:
>Pete wondered: <<I'm thinking about doing some freelance work on the
>side and I'm curious what that part of the tech writing world looks
>like. Are software companies keen to outsource their documentation
>work? Has anyone had good success in this?>>

I have gone as long as 3 or 4 months between jobs. And to make
matters worse, what some companies think is technical writing, is
very bizarre. It runs from real tech writing to marketing. So you
have to be careful you know what is going on when you take a job. The
worst of clients don't have a clue as to scope or what they want you
to do. So you have to be able to do a lot of work in a short time.

The number of jobs open depends upon your locale and the industries
in your area.

Scott