RE: Word Appendix Numbering

Subject: RE: Word Appendix Numbering
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "J. Paul Kent" <jopakent -at- comcast -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:24:21 -0600

J. Paul Kent wrote:

> Appendices. We have a separate set of styles (Appendix 1, 2,
> 3, & 4) for the appendices and the autonumbering (often)
> works well. The problems begin when we try to get figures and
> tables to autonumber correctly in the appendices.
> Is there a way to get tables to autonumber as Table A.1, A.2,
> etc and Figure A.1, A.2? In the caption dialog, when I

Others have explained why/how you should use the built-in heading styles
for the appendices. I'd like to point out that your numbering makes no
sense. Appendix 1? Containing Table A.1? Ugh.

Use alpha numbering for the appendices -- Appendix A contains Tables
A.1, A.2, etc. Appendix B contains Tables B.1, B.2, etc. That's much
clearer and less confusing, and makes your separate appendix styles

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom

Web-based technology, and PDF output.

to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual:

or visit

Word Appendix Numbering: From: J. Paul Kent