Re: AuthorIT: Poor image quality for screen captures

Subject: Re: AuthorIT: Poor image quality for screen captures
From: "Lech Rzedzicki" <xchaotic -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:57:26 +0200

You are rather vague about the technical detail.
While I have never used AuthorIT, I know that it can import a variety
of graphical formats as an input.
The CHM format is HTML compressed with LZX plus indexing etc, the
graphics are usually JPG so if your iput format is different, AuthorIT
probably automatically converts it, thus the reduced quality. To see
what kind of graphic file you have embedded you can extract the CHM
back to HTML with the following command:

hh.exe -decompile extracted filename.chm

in the "extracted" directory, you can replace the files and compile
them back to chm, which in my view is a very bad and time consuming
solution, but I don't know the specifics of AuthorIT to know if it
degrades the quality via some setting or is the problem elsewhere.
If you are not using JPG files as an input, convert them first and
import to authorIT as JPG, this should solve the problem. If you're
using JPGs already, then the problem must be in AuthorIT's settings.

Regards,

Lech

--
Lech Rzedzicki