RE: seeking advice on the best way to phrase an error message

Subject: RE: seeking advice on the best way to phrase an error message
From: "technical writing plus" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "'Tracy Taylor'" <ipsque -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:10:06 -0600

Not really liking it when places strongly require for me to give my phone
number, or when they ask politely and then when I am not immediately helpful
in filling in field, they cancel the whole form out or won't let me
continue. I wish that people who set up this kind of stuff would realize
that not everyone in the world is hunky-dory with giving out all kinds of
personal info on the Web.

Now, as to the question. Short, simple and direct is the best method, I
believe. Something like 'Phone number required' or 'Phone number required to
proceed' would be good.